Monday, December 29, 2008

7 PM Eastern, 6 Central, 5 Mountain, 4 PM Pacific

On New Year's Eve there will be a leap second.  I'm already planning to be sitting with the girls and two short wave radios (reception can be spotty, and I want to use two frequencies to be sure).

I've been called a leap second chronicler, or things like that, because I've been tracking the international process of considering abandoning leap seconds for over 6 years.

This leap second is unique for us in the US -- as shown on my other (live, ticking) web page it's the first leap second which will legally happen in the US.  All the others happened officially, but not legally.

Over here it happens before sunset, before evening festivities.  That means we can listen to it on the radio, and also watch it on the web, and still have a life.

Happy New Year!

No comments: